Weather Spotter

        Hello Schizz
  Hope you are having a good day hon, its cold here, snow flurries have fallen along with rain.  I know that's nothing compared with what you all have had to deal with a few weeks ago, so I won't complain.   Went to my weather spotter class last night.
    It was a good turnout, I noticed quite a few families there. I couldn't get Carianne to go with me and Jon had to work, so I went alone.  Compared to the Weather Spotter SkyWarn class I went to back in 1993, it was 100% more informative and helpful and that in itself was great because it was good then.  I had some problems though because my hearing garbled so much of what the instructor said, I was trying to stay awake.  Luckily I could read and see enough to understand what they spoke of.  So much of my hearing is tone, so many tones I can't make out or hear in general.
   Back in 1993, much of the information was on Tornadoes and straight line winds, this time around it covered floods.  The problem being so many people drown because they think they can cross  flooded areas in the vehicles, so thus in recent years its "Turn Around Don't Drown" has been the hallmark statement of  NOAA.  I even knew of a nurse who treated Jeff before he died, after he passed ,she drown crossing a flooded section within a underpass in Norwalk, Ohio.
   I stress to Jon, that even though he's got a truck, even a (SUV), still isn't safe because the wheels lose grip on the road.
  Another saying NOAA adopted during approaching thunderstorms is simply "When Thunder Roars, Go Indoors"  If you can hear thunder, you are close enough to get struck by lightning.  I know you play golf at times, you know you never seek shelter under trees or even stay on the course.  Even as children we all learned that lightening strikes the tallest object in an open field. I think all of us had that ingrained in our minds from our parents.  Funny thing, they emphasized that as a spotter, they don't want to hear about extreme lightning activity, only damage that it , wind and or hail does.
   What size the hail is, that determines how high the storm is building in the atmosphere.  Which brings me to the next subject we talked about.
    They mentioned that is rare to issue a "Tornado Emergency" in Ohio ,this was done when Xenia was hit during The Super Outbreak Of April 3 and 4th, 1974.  It is something to know that many really don't understand the difference between A Watch or Warning.  I think that kinda hinders the severity of the matter between life and death..at times.  A Tornado Emergency, means basically a very large tornado has been spotted on the ground and lives are in danger.  Warning is (Tornado or Severe Thunderstorm) is imminent or occurring, Watch is (Tornado or Thunderstorm) that atmospheric conditions are favorable for development.     I got amused when some years back, it seemed they always issued a Severe Thunderstorm for Lewis Center, after it went through, that has changed now.
   Storm Chasers got a lecture about putting themselves in harms way and I agree because, it isn't risking your life chasing a tornado.  Chasers sometimes get careless not thinking about what is dangerous.  Recently I watched a documentary about how Storm Chasers from The Weather Channel , The Samerieses , forgive the spelling,  and there friend were killed in the EF3 Tornado in El Reno, Oklahoma, a few years back.  They were well respected and sticklers for safety.  It is tragic.  They aren't the only ones, armatures do the same.  They spoke of a father and son in Kentucky  that were killed.   People seem to underestimate weather, the power in a tornado can lift a locomotive and toss it, as it did in Xenia, even a less powerful one can through cars and trucks.  I gotta tell ya, I stand in awe and respect of it all.
     I like Massachusetts mainly because the risks of tornadoes is very low, I know you all get storms off the Ocean just as powerful.  Ohio is in the upper very edge of tornado alley.  Needless to say, weather is something to respect no matter where you live.
  Enough of Storm and weather spotting, don't know why I went on like I did, I guess I get exited sharing things, especially if it helps.
   Pray everyone is doing ok in your family and you are doing well and staying safe and sound yourself.  I always keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.  I will write you later, love you so very much Stephen, hope you enjoyed my weather ranting.









    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Schizz, Wishing You A Good Night's Rest,Love You Darling One!

The New England Primer