The New England Primer

                                                      Knowing that you are all getting a mix of wind, rain and snow , I thought I would share a fact I read  OUR DAILY BREAD publication for today's reading that I thought you might enjoy during all this unseemly weather.

                                                   The New England Primer was published in the late 1600s.  Throughout the colonies that would later become the United States, the book became a widely used resource.
                                                   This early American textbook was based largely on the Bible, and it used pictures and rhymes based on scripture to help children learn to read.  It also included prayers  like this one: " Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.  If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take."
                                                   In colonial America , this became a way that one generation was able to pass along their faith to the next generation. It fit well with what God wanted of his people, the ancient Israelites, as recorded in Deuteronomy 6:6-7 "These words which I command you today shall be in your heart.  You shall teach (God's commandment) diligently to your children, and shall talk of them...when you walk by the way, when you lie down and when you rise up."  As we talk about who God is, what He has done for us, and how He desires our love and obedience, our lives can become primers to the next generation.  We can be teaching tools that God will use to help people in their walk with Him - written by Dennis Fisher


                                                I thought that was interesting, I never knew of this book.   I thought you might want to read about it, you probably know about it already Schizz.  I guess I get excited about finding out new things about New England and our forefathers  
                                               Today when I was out getting more baking supplies, I found "An American Christmas Carol" with Henry Winkler.  I was telling the kids how when I was in seventh grade English class with Mr. Sweeney.  He had the class watch it as a homework assignment.
                                               I remember sitting in the living room with the family watching it together and how much I really enjoyed it.
                                              Today when I watched it on DVD, it caught my son's attention and he sat and watched the whole movie with me.  He hadn't done that for a long time. He liked it too.  It was sure nice.
                                              Someday, I hope to watch it with you...Pray everyone is safe and staying put throughout all of the bad weather.  I worry about you being out in it, of course you are used to the weather here in Ohio, so you can stand anything right?
                              Love you so very much Stephen , please take care of yourself and be careful if you have to be outside!  All my love, hugs and kisses.  I will write tomorrow!

                                         

                                                  
                                                

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh My Goodness Another Birthday Gone By

Hello And Well Wishes